welcome to my zone. this is where i place my thoughts, whenever i think they're worth thinking about. being my senior year of high school, life is quite busy, and i won't be posting as often as i'd like to be. also, if you don't mind, send up a little prayer for me every now and then, that God would strengthen me against the powers and temptations of satan and give me wisdom in this seemingly critical time of my life.

the Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord lift up His countenance on you and give you peace. (numbers 6:24-26 nasb)


Sunday, November 30, 2008

The Loser

I was rocking out to Switchfoot today on my way home from driving a friend to his house. Switchfoot rocks. Hence me rocking out to their music. Anyways, there I was driving along when the guys start into a song with a groovy riff at the beginning of it. I start into that head groove bounce thing that lets people know I'm way cool enough to be "feeling" the music, but I'm definitely not a wierdo-idiot-moron-loser kid flailing his hands in the air wildly. I'm too cool for that. Jon Foreman starts to sing:

"Only the losers win / They've got nothing to prove / They'll leave the world with nothing to lose / You can laugh at the weirdos now / Wait till wrongs are right / They'll be the ones with nothing to hide"

So if the losers are winners, what does that make the cool kids? The superstars? The popular ones? The ones with all the fans? I think most people with any religious affiliation whatsoever are familiar with the Bible verse that says not to store up treasures on earth, so that when you get to eternity (which, as a side note, I don't believe you "get to eternity" . . . more on that later) you will have everlasting treasures.

I think there is another aspect to this concept though. Storing up treasures in heaven is a very abstract concept. Most things about God are very abstract. If they weren't, God wouldn't be God. If we understood God completely, He would not by so . . . mystical. All that to say, I believe God stuck another, more concrete aspect on to this concept of not making yourself so cool now that you can't be cool later. Of course in eternity there is no "later." But that's beside the point.

About three paragraphs into writing this, my dad called us all to a devotional time. I was hesitant to go. I was really having a great time blogging. But off I went, cause dad is dad, and dad knows best. Turns out, he often does. Anyways, we settled in on the tree and the chaff in Psalm 1. The whole chapter is not long; I'll put it down here.

1 Blessed is the man
who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked
or stand in the way of sinners
or sit in the seat of mockers.

2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD,
and on his law he meditates day and night.

3 He is like a tree planted by streams of water,
which yields its fruit in season
and whose leaf does not wither.
Whatever he does prospers.

4 Not so the wicked!
They are like chaff
that the wind blows away.

5 Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgment,
nor sinners in the assembly of the righteous.

6 For the LORD watches over the way of the righteous,
but the way of the wicked will perish.

I didn't know what chaff was. I looked it up. In case anyone else is as oblivious as I, chaff is what covers the seed in fast growing grains such as wheat and barley. (During devotions I pretended to know what it was so that I could remain an intelligent component in the conversation. I recently had it impressed upon me that this is a bad idea. Wisdom asks. That came from dad.) So dad told us about how trees grow slowly, but they grow to be massive, powerful, fruitful things. And trees never stop growing. Chaff on the other hand, springs up in less than a year, but is thrown away at harvest time.

We were made to be trees. We weren't made for instant fame. Almost every person out of high school that I've talked to about the subject has said that the cool kids in high school are the losers now. Either that or they're just never heard from again. Losers only have one direction to go. When you're at the bottom, there's not much that can pull you down any farther. And loser is a partial word. No loser is a loser at everything. This is also the same for winners, in an opposite sense. No winner is a winner at everything. Nobody's perfect. And there's always somebody better.

"When someone invites you to a wedding feast, do not take the place of honor, for a person more distinguished than you may have been invited. If so, the host who invited both of you will come and say to you, 'Give this man your seat.' Then, humiliated, you will have to take the least important place. But when you are invited, take the lowest place, so that when your host comes, he will say to you, 'Friend, move up to a better place.' Then you will be honored in the presence of all your fellow guests. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."

That was Jesus. That is one of the most simple, down to earth things I can recall him saying. It's like bragging about being the best basketball player (and maybe you even exaggerate a little bit) and then some loser comes around and shows you up like nobody's business.

Only the losers win / they've got nothing to prove / they'll leave the world with nothing to lose

I wish I was a rockstar. Right now I ask people to take pictures of the band. If I were really a rockstar, I might even be asking the obvious. Pictures don't make the band, popularity doesn't make the man. I think I've written a little bit about meekness before. I work really hard at being meek. Jesus said the meek would inherit the earth. That sounds like fun. I think meekness is knowing between you and God that you're so cool in His eyes, that you don't need popularity to affirm that for you.

My prayer is that God would bless you and I with that kind of confidence. That we would let our actions speak, and keep our prideful, exaggerant words to ourselves.

I've been thinking / thinking I've got a plan to lose it all / I've got a contract pending on eternity / if I haven't already given it away / I've got a plan to lose it all


No comments: