welcome to my zone. this is where i place my thoughts, whenever i think they're worth thinking about. being my senior year of high school, life is quite busy, and i won't be posting as often as i'd like to be. also, if you don't mind, send up a little prayer for me every now and then, that God would strengthen me against the powers and temptations of satan and give me wisdom in this seemingly critical time of my life.

the Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord lift up His countenance on you and give you peace. (numbers 6:24-26 nasb)


Saturday, August 28, 2010

at the foot of manhood's mountain

i wrote this poem on the eve of my eighteenth birthday. it's the first poem that i've written without music, and the rhythm and rhyme didn't turn out exactly as planned, but it's from my heart. i was inspired mostly by maya angelou's poem "i know why the caged bird sings". i believe she was talking more about physical slavery than about slavery to the world itself, so i decided to add my own little touch. both topics deserve to be broached. my prayer is that eighteen (and whatever age you happen to be) would somehow really bring the freedom that's more true than the freedom the world sings to you when you're almost eighteen.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


freedom's the song that lulls me to sleep

at the foot of manhood's mountain steep

resting now to climb the stronger

to live a pleasured life the longer

to be my own self, just like the songbird

with naught but joy and peace to reap


but i feel not like a bird of the sky

preparing himself to leap into flight

i am that bird that's locked up in a cage

indulging in vanities day after day

with dwindling courage but increasing rage

too scared to live and unwilling to die


for i've heard the sound of an opening door

and i've felt the depths of the Lion's roar

but my wings have been clipped and my feet are tied

and it seems to be harder to learn to fly

than to stay in my cage and from freedom hide

so life remains easy, familiar, and poor


so finally now, in the darkness of night

comes a plea to be not only guided by Light

but prodded and pushed from the inside and out

and that hope would replace every inkling of doubt

so that i'd have the peace to dive into the Fount

of that life unknown but longed for despite

No comments: